Saturday, 6 October 2012

How to make an African costume.

how to make an African costume


Last week I had an email from Brown Owl. It said that for next week's brownie meeting, all the girls were to dress up, if they could, in an outfit from a continent that they would be allocated this week. That's fine I thought - we have Jamaica T-shirts for America, and a Flamenco dress if I was lucky enough for her to get Europe. But, no. Things are never that simple. Her six got Africa. Fantastic. What to do for a girl who's as ginger and pale as they come, with no item of clothing in her collection that is remotely African?

I thought about an Egyptian costume, or a belly-dancer from Morocco, but this looked too much like hard work to me. We do have a lion outfit made for a dance show, from when she was four years old, so that's no good.

Yesterday I googled images of African dresses, hoping for an epiphany. That's when I saw it - animal print dresses. I had a vague recollection of buying some animal print fabric some time ago for a costume that didn't happen (because although I have all these amazing intentions, these things have a habit of not happening). There it was, in the drawer, intact in the bag I had bought it in, never to be opened. I prayed to the god of Dunelm that I had bought enough to do a dress for a rather spindly 8-year old. It looked like there might be enough, so I got cracking. And this is what I made. 

The top is made from a square panel of fabric. For a 24" chest, I cut a panel of 28" x 11" and turned the top 1" over to stitch down to make a hem along the top. 

I then cut two strips of 18" x 3" and folded each in half and stitched down to make the straps.


Then I hand stitched them at angles to the front centre. So it makes a top like this. It rides up a little over the tummy so if you don't want this to happen, make your panel deeper.


African costumes for children

For the skirt (for a waist of 22"), I cut a panel of  29" x 25" and, again, folded the top 1" over to hem it at the waist. In hindsight the skirt gapes open quite a lot (she'll have to wear leggings underneath) so increasing the width from 29" for another four inches or so would have been better. 

African costume for kids
The headdress is a piece of fabric 25" x 16", wrapped over the front, gathered at the back and tied with a strong bobble. 

To make it work, I intend to wrap it round her, and tack it together with a safety pin in each of the top and the skirt. It's too tight to consider velcro and if I avoid using fastenings which need to be fixed in place, I can adapt it for the younger girls to save me going to all this palaver again. Saying that, this took about an hour using a sewing machine. 
The Dad was very impressed. I showed him these photos when he got home from work and he asked me who had made it for us. Cheeky sod. But it is very easy - even I can do it.


If you like this, please sign up to receive email updates, or subscribe by RSS feed. Thank you!



medal

You can see other stories of success over on Parenting on the Front Line

2 comments:

  1. Good work. I am in awe. There is no way I could do it. Luckily I have a mum and sister for dressing up days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job there missus. Would look cool as a summer dress :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I may not find the time to reply to them personally, but I do read each and every one. Thank you.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...